Wednesday, January 23, 2013

$10 Quiet Book

I had originally planned to make this project in March for my son's birthday and then it never got finished. I finally got around to finishing it right before Christmas and am happy to say he loves it. I had most of the items on hand so the project actually cost less than $10.
 
 
 
Supplies:
  • 2 Packages of felt (Walmart craft section for around $2 each)
  • Scissors
  • Velcro
  • Thread
  • Needle or Sewing Machine
  • Thin ribbon
  • Marker
Step 1:
Plan out your pages. I found it helpful to sketch out the design for each page. I'm by no means an artist and the sketches looked like they were done by a grade school child but they did the job. I spelt out my son's name and made a theme for each letter. Sorry no picture of my lovely drawings.



Step 2:
Depending on how much of a perfectionist you are you have 2 choices here, free hand draw your shapes on the felt with a marker or print out images and trace them on the felt. I wanted my quiet book to have character and my shapes were fairly simple so I just drew them directly on to the felt. Then cut out the shapes.


Step 3:
Get your needle out and start sewing. I started by attaching the thin strip of color to the main page. Next I stitched on the letter of the page. And then assembled the cut out shapes. I cut the Velcro tape into small squares I attached one half to the page and the other to a shape. If this quiet book is for a small child like mine was, I recommend using ribbon to connect the shape to the page.

Step 4:
Sew together your pages. I didn't plan ahead on how I was going to attach the pages to the cover. I added a piece of felt between the two pages so that I could bind the pages together. Sorry once again I don't have pictures of this step.

You can see the stitches on the cover and how I attached the pages together.I got out more letters and attached them to the front cover of the book. Thanks for checking out my quiet book. I hope to make a better tutorial in the future. If you make one I would love to see your project feel free to leave a link in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment