Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!!!!

Happy Halloween!
Hope everyone is having a spooktacular day! Today has been a bit hectic and crazy but that's pretty par for the course around here. And as evening approaches its looking better!

As a child my costumes were often homemade, mostly because we couldn't afford the fancy store bought ones. I loved it! My favorite was when I went as a bag of jellybeans (picture a small child with head, arms and legs sticking out of a clear garbage bag filled with colored balloons). These fond memories led me to make a costume for Tiny Human this year. And of course I waited until last minute to do it.

Cute sheep costume, prior to Tiny Human

2 nights ago after 4 1/2 bags of cotton balls and several hot glue burns later I had successfully created an adorable sheep costume I thought Tiny Human would love. Sheep are his favorite animal. He loved it until we tried to put it on him. He love turned into pure terror. He cried, screamed, flailed around and pulled off 80% of the cotton balls in the 3 attempts to put it on him.

After Tiny Human
So last night I went back to the drawing board aka Pinterest to search for a cheap home made costume. I really wanted to make something he would be able to use again. Originally I wanted to make this Dino Costume but knew I didn't have the time or money to do so. Then I found this Moose hoodie. Ding Ding Ding we had a winner. Cute, cheap and reusable!

 
I couldn't find a plain brown hoodie anywhere this morning. I went to at least 6 stores. I did find a fleece hoodie and pants at Old Navy and decided I could cover up the logo with material. I used a piece of 12 x 12 card stock folded in half to make a template for the light brown circle. I then used the template to cut the circle out of a light brown hand towel. I cute the circle in half and attached each half to the hoodie using a long stitch by hand. I didn't want it to be permanent.
 
I had to try it out :)
 
Next I stuffed to cream colored knit gloves with a ton of fiber fill. Next rolled the cuff of the glove up into the glove then pinned onto the hoodie. It took moving them around several times before I got them in the right place. Once again I hand stitched them on, this time using close small stitches. Overall the sheep took 2 1/2 hrs and about $5 since I had the shirt and material for the ears on hand. The moose took a little over an hour to make and cost $20 since I had to buy the hoodie,pants and gloves.
 
He was a bit cranky and hates things on his head.
Next year I will either start the costume making process weeks before Halloween or leave it up to Tiny human's very creative Grandma ;)
Thanks for checking out my blog have a great day!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment