Friday, October 19, 2012

Mummy Candle Holders

It's almost Halloween!! I love this time of year for its crisp air, falling leaves and wonderful colors. But most of all I love Halloween. The craft projects are endless and o so cute. Today's tutorial is how to make Mummy Candle Holders. The adorable decorated jars would also be a spooky place to keep yummy treats! My friend Jen and I found the idea on Pinterest.


You will need a glass jar, I used a pint size mason jar and a salsa jar. Medical grade gauze, I uses the 2" width since i was using smaller jars. Modge podge (store bought or homemade will both work) and a paint brush or foam brush. And some goggle eyes.

First loosely wrap the gauze around your jar to get an idea of how much you will need. The layers need to slightly overlap. Next gently pull the edges and center of the gauze to make it fray and look mummy like. Sorry I forgot to take pictures of the first couple of steps :(

Now is the fun messy part. Starting at the bottom edge of the jar begin applying a generous amount of Modge Podge. Should be slightly wider than the width of gauze. Stick the gauze to the jar. I found it worked best to work in small sections. Continue around the jar slightly overlapping the layers of gauze until you get to the bottom lip. It should look like this when you are done.


Set the jars aside and let them dry. When they are dry apply another layer of Modge Podge to the jars using a dabbing motion. This final layer will make the gauze crunchy and mummy like. When the jars  are finally dry you can attach the google eyes. I used hot glue to make sure they stayed on. And there you have it an easy and cute Halloween project.



No comments:

Post a Comment