Monday, June 24, 2013

DIY Play Kitchen

Tiny Human loves to "help" in the kitchen. Most of the time I think its great but there are moments when I wished he had a kitchen of his own to play with. I searched the local stores and the internet and had trouble finding a small size kitchen set that would fit in our little house. Finally I gave up and decided to make my own. The best part was I finally got to use several cuts from the Savory cartridge for the Cricut.

Here is a list of the materials I used:
Vinyl
Transfer paper
Scissors
Small rubbermade tote
Savory cartridge

When doing any vinyl project I highly recommend using The Cricut Craft Room or similar program. It not only allows you to plan out the exact size of your cuts but it saves you from wasting vinyl. When I started this I just planned on making a couple burners, knobs and the oven door. But soon the project took on a life of it's own and 8hrs later I had a project I couldn't wait to share.

The burners, knobs and oven front I made using the basic shapes. It is modeled after the actual stove in our kitchen. The burners I layered 3 circles together. Then center circle I made red to make them look more realistic. Tiny Human is constantly reminding me that they are hot and to be careful.
The backside of the "stove" is the "fridge/pantry". I tried to use foods Tiny Human would recognize and a variety of colors. He likes to pretend to scoop up the food and add it to his pot. We have a bunch of lids from milk jugs, pop and juice bottles which lucky enough match the food images so that's what he uses as his food.
To complete this little kitchen I added a towel to one side. It was extremely humid in my house that night and my vinyl got really full of bubbles. Don't judge to harsly ;) On the other side I added a cup,plate and silverware. I tried to keep the colors gender neutral so my future childern can enjoy this toy too.

As you can see this tote not only is a toy but stores all of the kitchen toys inside.

I may end up redoing this side just because I'm a perfectionist.
I hope my adventure inspires you to make your very own play kitchen. Thanks for checking out my blog. If you would like to see more projects for little ones please become a follower of my blog. Have a great day!

1 comment: